Friday 30 August 2013

Training Notes - 30/08/2013

No serious running for me at the weekend (in line with my more relaxed training approach for the autumn), but did round 4 of the Salty Seadog sprint tri at Boscombe pier on Saturday. It was my first ever and I learnt 3 things 1) my swimming is terrible 2) my bike fitness is only marginally better 3) my running is reasonable (3rd best 5k time in the field ). Happy to get through unscathed in 29th place in 1:2x:xx
Having a more speed orientated week this week before a little taper to Maidenhead HM a week on Sunday (8th Sept). I joined the Tuesday night BAC session doing 8x800m on the Littledown grass loop and discovered that my speed work has been sorely lacking over the summer av of 5:16/M, which is only a tiny bit better than my last 6x1M session average.... 11.3M in total.
Thursday night's 6 x 1 mile reps session turned out to be a bit brutal.... due to a co-incidental spot of email/facebook organisation we ended up with a good bunch out on the track, fired up for a good session. Did 4:59/5:10/5:15/5:19/5:13/5:13 off a 400m jog recovery (c. 2-3min) average of 5:11/M. First rep was definitely over enthusiastic and I paid for it subsequently! Still very happy to be 7"/M faster than the equivalent workout at the start of July. Ran 4M to the track with 5x20" strides and back 5.3M which was a bit progressive in pace from 9:37/M to 6:22/M (my legs were fairly well shot straight after the reps), for 17.2M @ 6:50/M overall.
Managed to break my mile PB by less than a second in the 1st rep, but at least it's now the right side of 5:00 
Just a 7.2M @ 7:14/M easy run first thing around the Rheinfield Drive area in Forest this morning, but the legs felt surprisingly good given the intensity/distance from the previous evening.

Turning out to be quite a big week, hit 60+ miles by Friday and still have a 15 miler with 10M tempo planned for early doors on Sunday, looking forward to tapering with a few fast 400s and a cheeky fast mile on Wednesday. If you're in or around the New Forest check out the Magic Mile event being held at Woodside in Lymington on Weds evening, details here .

No comments:

Post a Comment